as taught by Coach Chandra
Know your role:
- When you’re in the back: Smash, drop, drive, clear (which is defensive, so don’t do too many!)
- When you’re in the front: Push, net drop, drive, lift (which is defensive, so don’t do too many!)
- When you’re on a side: Defense, net drop, drive, (clears and lifts are defensive, so don’t do too many!)
Know your boundary:
- When you’re in the back: Cover the back 2/3.
- When you’re in the front: Cover front 1/3.
- When you’re on a side: Cover your entire side, front to back.
Know your responsibility (where to go):
- If you (or your teammate) clear, lift or mid drive (any high shot), then get in a defensive side/side position.
- If you (or your teammate) drop or smash (attack), get in an offensive front/back position.
- Move to front-back when the opponent clears it to the back (the person who receives the clear goes back, the other person goes front).
- Move to side/side when the back person has to move up (and to the side, mid court) to get a shot in the front of their boundary.
If the other team is in the middle (defensive position) then aim for half court to confuse them and make it likely they will both go for the shot!